You probably know that you need to brush your teeth at least twice a day, and that you need to floss your teeth after each meal. Just doing those two things will help keep your teeth and gums healthy. Did you know that there are some other simple tricks you could be using to keep your teeth even healthier? Take a look at a few of them.
Keep Your Toothbrush Clean
You probably rinse your toothbrush off after every use, but that doesn't mean that all the saliva, germs and toothpaste has been washed off. If you don't wash your brush at least once a week, you could be brushing with a lot of germy buildup. Use this simple solution to keep your toothbrush clean and fresh.
Supplies You'll Need
- Baking soda
- Lemon juice
- Fill a glass with water.
- Add 2 teaspoons of baking soda and mix well.
- Add ½ teaspoon each of peroxide and lemon juice in the water.
- Place your toothbrush in the water and soak for about 30 minutes.
Make Your Own Herbal Mouthwash
Even when you brush and floss your teeth as often as you should, bacteria can build up between your teeth, below your gums and even on your tongue. This herbal mouthwash will help get rid of the bacteria that builds up throughout the day.
Supplies You'll Need
- Clove oil – keeps teeth and gums healthy
- Tea Tree oil – helps prevent gum disease
- Small bowl for mixing
- Small dark container with lid
- Pour 1 cup of water into a small bowl.
- Add 5 drops each of clove oil and peppermint oil.
- Mix the solution well and carefully pour it into your dark container.
- Gargle with a tablespoon of the solution twice a day.
Don't Ignore Your Tongue
Your tongue holds on to a lot of bacteria that can be harmful to your teeth and gums. If you're brushing your teeth but neglecting your tongue, you may be setting yourself up for dental problems.
Every time you brush your teeth, spend a minute or two brushing your tongue. You'll get rid of all the caked on germs and bacteria. You'll also be getting rid of a major source of bad breath…a dirty tongue.
Now that you know these simple tricks to keeping your teeth and gums healthy, go ahead and add them to your daily routine. They're quick and easy to do. Best of all, they're natural. Don't forget to visit places like Couchman Center for Complete Dentistry for regular check-ups!Share